Thursday, May 11, 2017

Cover Crush: Under the Canopy of Heaven by Susan Meissner

Hello, my name is Colleen and I am a cover slut. I know, I know....you aren't supposed to judge a book by it's cover. I just can't help myself!  A beautiful cover draws my eye every single time and I can't help but pick up the book it's dressing and see if the inside seems as intriguing as the outside. Sometimes it does, and sometimes a pretty cover is just a pretty cover. Either way, I love getting an eyeful! 

One of my favorite bloggers, Erin at Flashlight Commentary, created a weekly blog post called Cover Crush and she and some other blogger friends are sharing their favorite covers each Thursday. I've decided to join in this year and will link to their posts down below.

So, without further ado, my Cover Crush this week is.....
 
 
 
 
I have been a huge fan of Susan Meissner's writing since I first read Lady in Waiting in 2010. The covers of her books are always so striking to me as well and, while this one is very different in style then her most recent books, I think it is just as beautiful. The yellowed lighting makes it seem almost like a dream and I can't help but wonder who the young woman in front of that gorgeous fountain is. While we'll have to wait to read the story and find out, let's see what the book synopsis can tell us...
 
 
From the acclaimed author of Secrets of a Charmed Life and A Bridge Across the Ocean comes a new novel set in Philadelphia during the Spanish flu epidemic of 1918, which tells the story of a family reborn through loss and love.

From the darkest hours rises life in all its glory…

In 1918, Philadelphia was a city teeming with promise. Even as its young men went off to fight in the Great War, there were opportunities for a fresh start on its cobblestone streets. Into this bustling town, came Pauline Bright and her
husband, filled with hope that they could now give their three daughters–Evelyn, Maggie, and Willa–a chance at a better life.

Their dreams are short-lived. Just months after they arrive, the Spanish Flu reaches the shores of America. As the pandemic claims more than twelve thousand victims in their adopted city, they find their lives left with a world that looks nothing like the one they knew. But even as they lose loved ones, they take in a baby orphaned by the disease who becomes their single source of hope. Amidst the tragedy and challenges that surround them, they learn what they cannot live without–and what they are willing to do about it.

Under the Canopy of Heaven is the compelling story of a mother and her daughters who find themselves in a harsh world not of their making, which will either crush their resolve to survive or purify it.

 
 
Created by Magdalena of A Bookaholic Swede



 

No comments:

Post a Comment